Thursday 17 September 2020

An unexpected find


Thought I would go for a drive today, before we start another period of isolation. My travels took me across the border into Quebec to two stores that often sell used games. Well the first, a predominately RPG and video retailer, had nothing. But a journey across the parking lot to a boardgame store brought success!

I had low expectations but scanned the shelves, and found this Kickstarter version of Mantic's The Walking Dead miniature game. At only $44.99 (51.00 with tax) I got 46 survivor and walker figures and a complete accessory package of the damaged vehicles and sundry barriers. It also contained a stack of cards, and two fistfuls of dice. A quick search on Kickstarter, indicates this was at least $125.00 USD (165.00 Canadian) when first released, and I would hate to think how much it would retail at, but rest assured it would be very expensive!


At a figure count of 46 figures, and if you disregard the vehicles and everything else in the box, it works out to $1.10 per figure! Quite the good deal indeed! 


But of course all these extra bits do count...

I have no idea what was supposed to be in this box. It may well be missing specific figures, or had substitutions made, but every slot in the plastic holders is filled, there are no duplicates, and I am pleased to get this. The shop clerk had opened the box to let me see what was inside, and was surprised by all the figures. I suspect he had doubts that this had been priced correctly, I did not give him the chance to reconsider.

I should note that I have a small selection of figures for this game. I already own the damaged cars (but more is always better), and I have maybe 3 survivor duplicates (I am thinking I now have three more walkers) but I never planned to buy much more of this game. The game itself is fine, but the cost of the figures just floors me. At $25.00 Canadian for a set of 3 figures, this game quickly priced me out. Maybe some can do $8.00+ for a figure, but it is too rich for me. Now, with this purchase I have everything I need, at a great price.

2 comments:

  1. Nice find! I have yet to visit that store - did you see any boardgames set in Ancient Rome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but not really looking...The place is worth a visit, quite the eclectic mix of games, for instance they had a copy of Diplomacy in the old Avalon Hill bookcase edition.

      Delete