Translate

Monday 9 August 2021

Weekly update 4

So, a strange switch of focus,

It started with Snotlings, specifically the 3 pump wagons that have been sitting around for many years. I finally re-primed them, and actually started painting them. This of course led me to look at all the Snotlings that I have, including 5 bases of 'painted' ones. Well those painted ones are now re-primed, and I have started to work on them. But naturally, if one starts looking at Snotlings, one will start looking at Goblins and Orcs too, just to see what is what.  Well, this past week I looked at every WH fantasy army that I have, an assessed what needs to be done and what is likely to get done, and what is just wishful thinking.

Fantasy armies

So I have made certain that all mu forces are separated on their own shelves, that I have located all the old stuff that I own, and that I know where everything is. I then looked at what I have and split them up into several categories.

  1. Finished troops
  2. Troops that seemed finished but really need some final touches
  3. Troops that I thought were done, but look so bad that I need to do some major touch ups &/or start over
  4. Troops that I started to paint, but stopped after a few colours
  5. Troops built but not primed
  6. Troops that have not even been assembled

The plan is to finish off what I have started working my way up from number 4 to number 1. It may not happen in that exact order. Already I have assembled a couple of dragons [one of them undead] that I plan to paint up right away. I suspect that I am keen to do this because somewhere deep inside my brain I know that they are of limited use and therefore are the perfect time waster.

Add to that mix are based troops that need enhanced scenic basing, troops that need to be based on more consistent basing. The latter troops represent a time when I thought about trying to base my fantasy troops more along the line of historical figures. So, smaller bases for close formed troops, wider basing or individual basing for skirmish troops etc... So now it is back to a more or less old school WFB system, Orcs on 25mm wide bases, most human sized on 20mm...Now the twist is that I still base most of the unit two to a base, but I leave enough individually based figures to allow 4 or 5 figure wide units. I also use balsa wood strips which are 25mm deep, which gives me a little bit more room to base the figures and does not have that much of an impact game play wise. Cavalry are the old standard 25 x 50mm, or 50x50mm for formed troops.

I also plan to mount all of my artillery crew on pennies [washers for larger crew figures] to differentiate them from regular troops. Also the bases are smaller making it easier to place them on artillery bases. [all artillery will be on bases]

Scenery & miscellaneous items

I have also started to build my jungle ruins. I have a fair chunk of them, and it is taking some time to figure out how best to build them. I have also primed up some supply wagons for various time periods, and I have built and primed my Ancient British chariots, and a wild west resin building.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment