Translate

Saturday 2 April 2022

Aprils project seems to be taking shape naval gazing!


With the water board in place, I guess I will be doing naval action. It was not my original thoughts, I really want to finish off the left overs from the AHPC, but what could go wrong if I put that off a bit. (APHC XIII?)

 So I already have a number of naval games

  • Water battles makes up a large part of Dystopian Wars
  • Blood and Plunder is a pirate game
  • I have Sally4th steamer to build for Pulp Alley
  • Some Sarissa speed boats also for Pulp Alley
  • A riverboat steamer that will show up in All Quiet on the Martian Front

 


Heck even Godzilla came out of the ocean!


So that should be enough stuff right, I mean that 4 different games, 3 different scales, yeah I think that should do it...or is it?

 


So why did I rush out and buy yet another time period and yet another scale?!? Nobody I know is playing this, nobody I know is interested, so what gives. I really do not understand what grips me sometimes. I had gone to a gaming store to pick up some paints that I had ordered (Speed paints) and decided to browse. Well they had a small bu decent selection of Black Seas stuff and my mind drifted back to Hornblower (which I had reread maybe 1-2 years ago) but even then I dismissed the notion and picked up a few P3 paints, my speed paints and went home. But once home the idea started to work it's way from the deepest chasms of my mind climbing it's way back to the surface. 

An internet search was started. Google, Youtube, local stores, Warlord games, any and all site that I could think of... Quick research hits, what scale is best, what fleet (never where will I store this or who will play) Then I sat back, I tried to reconsider this terrible path that I was headed down, no longer of my free will. I was being dragged down deeper and deeper drowning in the sea that is naval gaming. Then the missus reminded me that she was headed out for dinner and a play with friends, I would be alone, alone on a Friday night with gaming stuff on my mind. God(zilla) help me!

Well, there really was nothing much to eat in the house (if one ignored the left over chicken) so the only thing to do was to go out for food. Of course there was nothing nearby that piqued my interest, best to go a little farther afield. As if moving on it's own my car seemed to just turn west! Past many a fast food joint and with the evening sky gradually growing darker I found myself in the parking lot of a game store some 20 minutes from home, a parking lot that had no restaurant near it. 

Well suffice to say I emerged from that store and from my dazed state with a number of boxes of 1/700 scale ships. In all I have something around 36 units for two different fleet, I do not have the rules, but at least I have the models. This is of course not a problem as I found the rules at another store they will arrive next week. They of course could be used with other rules, Kiss me Hardy comes to mind so again not too worried. They are a nice size. Decades ago I had tried to get into 1200 micronauts, but it never took hold of my interest. Also the prices that the store was selling them at was actually less expensive than anywhere else (at least as best as my search could find)

I bought two opposing sides which is a tradition of mine. At times I do not get on well with others. By buying both sides I can at least guarantee that I will at very least be able to play solitaire games (until I annoy myself) For Dystopian Wars I pretty much have every faction, same for my VSF stuff, 20mm WWII, AQMF etc. Apart from the first rate ships, the fleets are generic ships (although with nation specific name plates) so really they offer a chance to paint up quite a variety.

So, April will be something of a wet month for me. Hopefully I will actually get some of this stuff done this month, at least before I pick up the Spanish fleet box set that is just sitting there all alone on the shelf, just crying out why not me, take me home, damn those Spanish puppy eyes!

3 comments:

  1. Water may be a lot more versatile than the two (?!?) forts that I have been contemplating buying for a "white elephant" conversion.

    The tale of the Black Seas compulsion was an amusing read. I don't (yet) have any, nor had I thought of acquiring any, but some OMG members do play it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well your islands will have another reason to grace the wargames table! So very efficient use of terrain and really your saving money if you think about it the right way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not certain that I can afford much more savings! :)

      Delete