Translate

Sunday 24 April 2022

End of day one...can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

 


Thankfully nothing has been broken, yet, but it certainly looks like a tornado went through the place. Technically it is a simple straightforward  swap of furniture, but it has become like one of those puzzle squares where you have to slide the pieces around to form up what ever the image is, or the correct number sequence etc etc. To move the main storage shelf I had to move chairs and a desk to make a path. Before I can  place the storage unit where I want to I have to move the paints, but that means I have to set up the painting table but some bookcases are in the way. You get the point.

Here is the largest of the storage units to be moved. 

OOP Ikea large Billy cabinet 16" deep

An especially large fully loaded cabinet with 20 shelves in in, bloody heavy!  So out came everything, however 2o shelves of miniatures is not an easy thing to disperse around a crowded room. I had already taken other items off other shelves so the pile on the gaming table really started getting out of hand.


Stud finding with magnets!



Now, normally I am kind of lazy and will try to move a cabinet even with stuff in it, but this cabinet presented a challenge. As you can see, an air duct blocked me from doing a simple dragging of the cabinet. This challenge meant that I was forced to remove the 20 shelves in addition to the miniatures. Once done it was a 'simple' job  of tilting the whole thing onto me then pushing wobbling it over a floor joint hump, and under the air duct then back up with out crushing me or pushing it over the other way. All this with out ant help even from a traveling gamer (not pointing any fingers) Anyways as I am writing this after the fact you may surmise that I survived the experience and also the second large cabinet that was quite heavier, oddly shaped and just as awkward to shift as the first cabinet.

However despite the chaos and confusion I do see a glimmer of hope. Below is the newly cleared area where my painting table had been. Once done this area should be about a foot wider affording more room for the players and even room for a chair or two.

So could not work on it as much as I would have like to on Sunday, some rearranging and culling of books, the big push will come Monday and Tuesday. As a side benefit it was good to take another look at my Sci-Fi and fantasy book collection to see what I wanted to keep and what I could give away. Thanks to kindle a fair amount of my collection has migrated from paperback to digital. While I still love the feel and smell of books, the ability to easily flip back and forth to find certain passages, the lovely covers, my eyesight is much worse and the ability to adjust font size must win out over nostalgia and tradition.

2 comments:

  1. That has been rather quick!

    How many formerly missing pieces or bits did you find?

    Is the fridge still in place?

    Re. ebooks, do you use a specialized tablet or e-reader, or just your laptop? I may venture into the world of ebooks to acquire a long out-of-print Foundry book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fridge is not in the equation, so fear not. Sadly no long lost items located so far.

    I have two devices, the kindle paper white for reading simple books and a kindle fire for anything involving pictures, or large layouts such as magazines, rule books etc. Both serve me well for their intended use. I understand some do not like the proprietary nature of the preloaded programs, they feel restricted, but as my main use is to read and sometimes surf the net the Fire is good enough for me and the other is small an good on my eyes. The fire is/was the least expensive tablet that I could find.

    ReplyDelete