Translate

Saturday 3 June 2023

Blast from the past, Rogue Trooper

From the late 1980's it came, never played by me back then but I did see it at the club a lot. Well I picked up this copy cheap at a bring and buy a few years back just cause. Well, now I have played it and, well, it was not that bad (not that great either)

It is a product of its time, with a confusing rule book and lots of fiddly bits. I saw a review that called it a sci-fi version of Talisman. Well it is not that bad! It does have a lot of randomness to it but did not feel as frustrating as Talisman. 


Two of us played the game and we each had quite a different game. I kept burning through ammunition like nobody's business, while my opponent somehow managed to avoid that type of encounter and as a result had a lot of weapon choices available to him in the endgame. However I found that the 'rogue' cards did allow for some planning and mitigated some of the other random elements. I managed to keep a couple of crucial cards for the endgame that allowed me to move the traitor (the target in the game) to where I had a chance at him. I did mess up and discarded a card that I should have kept but that was my error not a fault of the game. In the end it was a pretty near run thing, that ended without a winner due to a misreading of that 'fine' rulebook!


In the end, we agreed it was not that bad a game for light entertainment. We agreed to a few tweaks to the rules were in order and that more than two player would be good.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like an interesting game. I have never heard of it (the game, not the character). And Interesting enough that if I ever see it going cheap I would pick it up! So thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete