Translate

Wednesday 28 October 2020

Not the end, not the beginning of the end, maybe the end of the beginning (thanks Winnie)

So I see a light at the end of the tunnel! No hobby activity to report, but I can feel the need to build and paint stuff getting stronger and stronger. But I am not ready yet, so instead of hobby stuff, I have started to work on the hobby area. First up, I have once again started to tackle the ever present mess that is my gaming room. My malaise induced apathy had been keeping me out of my room, as I wallowed in my own decrepitude. So I hauled my lethargic ass off the couch, away from the computer, and diligently cleaned up my hobby table. 

While finishing off the table, including properly installing my replacement lamp, I looked around my room to see if anything else was in need of attention. Well after a couple of trips up and down the stairs with spray primer and miniatures, a questionable thought entered my mind, would it not be easier to just prime in my game room. Well that would mean moving the spray booth into the house.

So I brought my spray booth in from the garage, this necessitated relocating my light box. I first needed a new shelf for the photo box. A nice 'found' MDF sheet worked for this. Then for the spray booth to fit in another shelf was required.  Another trip to the garage produced a left over shelf from our dining room storage unit. With both these platforms screwed into, respectively, a ledge and the top of a book case it was time to place the light box and spray booth into their new home.

But then I thought, maybe I should work on all the various wires that connect to all the lights & gadgets on and near the table. So I pulled out the shelf that now has the spray booth on it. At this point I realized I should finally fix the bookcase. You see, the bookcase has been sitting on some cut up shelves, giving it height to clear a water pipe. However, these lifts were never attached to the bookcase, so there was always the threat that everything would tumble down when moved. So it was time to finally fix this problem. 

I cleared off the bookcase, including the spray booth, onto my newly cleaned table, and pulled the shelf all the way out from the wall. Tipping it over so that I could reach the underside, I was greeted with a crashing sound, followed by the tinkling sound of small metal shelf pins tumbling across the floor. Removing the shelves and hardware before tipping the bookcase over would have been a good idea!

Fixing the platforms to the shelf was relatively easy, as was pushing the bookcase back against the wall. Hell, even picking up all the screws and plastic anchors off the floor after somehow spilling their container, that had been perched on the table, was easy too, but putting them back into their individual compartments was time consuming. How had I spilled the container you might ask, well I am not certain, must have knocked it over while I was searching for the one shelf pin that somehow skittered away from the other shelf pins. With the floor finally cleared of screws, and other residual detritus, I was dismayed, but not surprised to find no shelf pin! So I expanded my search, where could it possibly be, how could it bounce out of sight? 

First up was a scrapping under the nearby shelving to see if it had rolled under one of them. Then with that possibility eliminated it was time to pull out the containers from under my desk. Where to put them all, well the once cleaned desk and the associated chair of course. No joy! But wait I have spares in the garage, I fetched the container back to the game room, in the container of maybe 50 pins, no match.

So, where the *#@(?# did it go? Side note, throughout my life, I have always endeavored to maintain my cool despite the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. There have been many times that I have almost lost it and a few where I have! This was almost one of the latter times, but I pulled myself back...

No way the pin up and vanished, no way it could be where I was starting to think it was, but sure enough, pulling the bookshelf back out from the wall, and there it was, son of a ....! Now the shelves are in place, but the bookcase is still out from the wall. 

Now, back to the wires, and like metal coat hangers, they were just a jumbled knotted mess! At this point I needed to also work on the power supply, this would require power bars. 

Warning short rant!

Why are so many plugs over sized, oddly shaped and/or why are are power bars outlets so densely packed together, and why do they vary in direction, and length of the cord. I have a number of power bars, but the length of cord/outlet orientation/number of outlets do not congeal into the one unit that I want to use. One or another sort of works, but no one power bar is perfect for my needs. 

 

So anyway after another delay as I searched the house for any and all power bars, and also rearranged and swapped out some in use power bars, I gathered what I had, stood back, in an attempt to assess which one to use.

That is where I stopped today, no decision made about the power bar, but progress made, right, progress was made?

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment