Translate

Monday 20 January 2020

"Our land now succumbed to the Red Weed"


"It began to creep like a slimy red animal across the land"

So, some time ago, not even this past Halloween, I picked up some 'spider web' Halloween decorations. I bought two rolls, one black, one purple (strange spider webs?) basically for no good reason, just cause I might find a purpose for them sometime in the future.


This is what they looked like when I got them, again no reason to buy them, maybe for some pulp scenery, but no plan.


However, recently I have decided to paint up my All Quiet on the Martian Front stuff. I ways like the silliness of the game, some of the Human tanks are really goofy (I like that), and I figured I could always use the tripods in 28mm VSF gaming. At any rate while painting up all my stuff, I started thinking about the red weed, mostly how I would represent it when basing my Martians. At first I thought about this:


I had seen somebody use it for vines. A simple green spray and you have jungle vines, so why not red weed? Well then I thought that be a bit of work to create and model the ever spreading red weed. Then I remembered the spider web stuff. Same idea, spray it red (in this case 3-4 shades of red) and presto you have a large mat of red weed.


Now I am still thinking that I will use the wool for additional strands of red weed, maybe wrapping itself around a water tower, or some other structure, but the speed of creating the weed carpet using the webs cannot be beaten. I plan t cut them into irregular shapes so that I can have some overlap, making denser areas. I do not want to go too 3D as it can trip up models, getting tangled in tentacles etc





No comments:

Post a Comment