Translate

Friday 14 August 2020

From the nightstand to the DVD player

 

Inspired by my reading of the Hornblower books, I went through my video collection seeking seafaring movies. These movies coupled with the Hornblower novels, have I fear, started me down a bad path...

First up was, of course, Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951). Over all not a bad movie. Peck made a reasonably good stoic Horatio, the story moved along at a reasonable pace, and, overall was entertaining. It helped that Forester had a hand in the writing of the movie, condensing his first three novels into one movie. While it certainly is no replacement for the books, I have to say I would watch it again. I especially liked seeing Peck speaking Hornblower's classic phrase "Ha-H'm"!

Master and Commander (2003) is, in my mind, the best of the lot! Now, I am sure that those who, knowing more about Napoleonic naval warfare than me, can find fault with the battle scenes, and other aspects of nautical life. However to me it gives us a solid look at what life was like, and if not a perfect representation it certainly paints beautifully picture granting us a glimpse of a by gone age. 

The battle scenes particularly the boarding action shows us the brutality, and no quarter given aspect of such a struggle. I especially liked seeing the young midshipman, exercising his command rank despite his age. Such an odd system that could allow a youth to command veteran seamen.

Damn the Defiant (1962),  was a pleasant movie, with nice battle scenes, and a decent power struggle between the Captain, the second in command, and the crew. All this takes place with the ever present threat of rebellion by the crew as the Spithead mutiny gains momentum.

On the other hand I found Billy Bud to be virtually unwatchable. It to features a power struggle between good and evil, but I found it less subtle than a Michael Moore movie! Please just beat me over the head with your message. Terrible.

By comparison to the previous movie, The Sea Hawks (1940) had no such message, and was a typical Errol Flynn adventure movie. Yes one can read into it a message that can translate to the impending war  but really it is just another swashbuckler movie, albeit one of the better ones.

Finally I also watched Against all Flags (1952) featuring a, clearly, aging Errol Flynn, Anthony Quinn, and Maureen O'Hara. It was mostly ho hum, with some stunning off colour sequences involving a princess. Maureen was the best part of the movie, bring some energy to her role. Flynn did what he has done in so many other movies, while Quinn was pretty much like he in in almost all his movies.


No comments:

Post a Comment