Translate

Tuesday 25 August 2020

Just got this gem in the mail, after a delay...


                                                     Great little book, well maybe not that little.

 

I had ordered this book some time ago as a pre-order but somehow it never made it to me through the mail. Sarissa was kind enough to expedite a new copy to me.

It is 140 pages long, with the last 7 pages containing sample textures. The book is fully illustrated with very inspirational images!  But it is not just eye candy. The book starts with a 22 page introduction to the craft, outline how MDF is made, then moving onto a discussion about what tools are required. More than just a listing, the author clearly explains the techniques and materials, discussing the pros and cons.

Then we go onto the projects, starting with a simple build, introducing basic techniques. Then over the course of 8 builds he expands upon this base, introducing new techniques, providing guidance and explanations. He offers alternative ways to decorate the various buildings, for example he demonstrates how to create 3D like roof lines through painting techniques but also illustrates how to tile a roof using card stock.  He offers options for every skill level.

Now you may feel you have built enough MDF buildings to consider yourself an expert. I certainly have built far too many in my lifetime. But I found that this book contained so much information and many ideas that I felt like a novice. (maybe I am) I hasten to add, that the author does not sound condescending, no know it all feeling, instead he has a certain irreverent approach that I liked. More than once he presented ideas that I had not considered, and explanations that cleared up some misconceptions. He also has an excellent section on repairing damaged parts! 

I would recommend tracking down his videos, under the banner of March Attack. While his videos are great, I like to have a book to refer back to as I work on a project. This book works for me and is an is an excellent reference book. 

I highly recommend this book!


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment