Translate

Saturday 15 August 2020

From books, to movies to tabletop

 

 Well it really was just a matter of time. 

These three ships just arrived today, very nice models, good size, and great detail. The rigging looks to be not too difficult to install, and assembly promises to be a breeze...

They are technically from a time that predates the Napoleonic wars, but, in my mind at least, I figure they might still be in use. Two at least look to be fairly universal. I also have plans to acquire some ships boats either from Laser Dream Works or from Games of War. (maybe both) Ultimately, even if these do not suit Napoleonic games, I guess I will just have to pick up some classic 17th and early 18th century pirates. (I am sure that won't cost too much)  

I already have a number of British and French mariners, some British marines and some Spanish and Portuguese guerillas/troops, so I can see the possibility of some coastal skirmish games.

Now if I only had some Spanish style buildings...




5 comments:

  1. Funny , doing much the same thing in 15mm , so far I've got two Xebec a 14 gun ship of the line, Barque, a ten gun Brig, 14 gun Brigantine, four large armed Junks, four small armed Junks, and four large and four medium unarmed junks....a pretty good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good start indeed! I too would go 15mm, but for the fact that I like to see what I am painting...My recent revitalization of my 15mm ACW has proven to me that I, sadly, no longer have the eyes for that scale. I do have a couple of Junks, and Dhows, both Russian cardboard models that I can drag into this, and a couple of very small toy pirate ships that may get converted into something.

      Delete
    2. I hear you on the eye sight issue (I'm 62) I'd be lost without my ring light !

      Delete
  2. That was fast! Did you need a time machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just did not do my usual habit of wasting so much time thinking about a project before acting. Act in haste, so far no repentance.
      It also helped (?) that Meeplemart had some in stock, that they must have imported when the Canadian dollar was closer to par, as their price was very close to the current USD price, and shipping was free!

      Delete